The Garden Center Associate will support the manager, be a key team-player, and engage with our customers to provide the best service possible.
- Excellent plant knowledge and care.
- High level of technical understanding.
- Excellent customer service abilities.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally, both in writing and verbally, with customers and staff.
- Proficiency in Google docs, Google sheets, Quickbooks POS preferred.
- A calm and resourceful demeanor when assisting others, whether customers or staff.
- Ability to lift 50+ pounds.
- Willingness to work in all weather conditions.
The responsibilities of this position include (but may not be limited to):
- Ordering responsibility for one or two categories as assigned (i.e. indoor houseplants, pottery, perennials, trees, or shrubs)
- Purchase order creation and reconciliation; Printing tags and applying for incoming product orders
- Scheduling deliveries and plant installations for Garden Center customers
- Phone and email correspondence with customers and vendors
- Keep track of inventory and bi-annually assist with complete storewide physical inventory and input data
- Restock store goods as needed
- Order office supplies and materials as needed
- Maintain signage throughout the Garden Center
- Delegate responsibilities to staff in a professional and clear manner; supervise staff as needed
- Assist customers with plant selection and provide plant knowledge
- Run the register when needed
- Care for the plants with watering, trimming, deadheading, etc.
- Unload trucks and move trees, shrubs and other plants
- Coordinate workshops and seminars
Key Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate
Team Player: While your responsibilities are clearly outlined and your primary focus day-to-day, if another employee or division is in need that you can offer, you are willing and happy to support the team.
Learning and Adaptive: In a small business that is growing, your plant knowledge and understanding of your own responsibilities should also grow and adapt as our business grows and adapts. You should consistently be seeking to learn more about our company and industry.
Culture Fit: Our culture is very important to us. In a small business how we interact day in and day out determines the culture we work it. We take our jobs very seriously, but we also really like to have fun and stay positive.
High Character: We operate with a high trust culture. We operate our of personal values and integrity or our business just does not work. Integrity, honesty, compassion, reconciliation, and diligence are all qualities needed to flourish here.
Energy and Enthusiasm: We want you to love working here and we want it to show by your energy and excitement about what we do. Be self-motivated to focus on the positive daily.
Multitasking: We never want to give anyone more than what they can handle, but it is important that we are adaptable and flexible. Interruptions and unexpected situations arise and we want to be ready to handle them.
Our Core Values:
Integrity: Always treat others how you want to be treated. Value our reputation and walk above reproach. “Reputation outweighs profit every time.” Say what you mean and mean what you say. Follow through to the very end in all things. Take responsibility in all things whether good or bad (successes and failures). Be open and candid in our communication with each other and our customers. Balance confidence with humility.
Professionalism: Treat everyone with respect no matter their position, within FGS and outside the company. When faced with conflict and/or adversity, stay on the platform; be willing to walk away. Care about physical appearance from uniforms, trucks, equipment, mannerisms, attitude, etc.
Customer Care Centered: Communicate timely and by the customer’s preference (email, phone, text) Be sure they get everything they asked for, paid for and even a little more (down to the thank you.) Go above and beyond to make a “customer for life”. Consider it a privilege to work with and for the customer. Don’t lose sight or be skewed by the few bad apples.
Teamwork: Work hard and have fun. Care for one another more than we care about ourselves; prefer one another. Make decisions based on the greater good of the company. Don’t take ourselves too seriously.
Excellence: From beginning to end, in person at the Garden Center, on the property and on their lawn, we are ready for guests and we care. Remember everything matters from details, spelling, language, posture, appearance, etc. We will provide continuous training and education so that everyone grows. You have one chance to make a first impression, make it count.